What is the purpose of IV Therapy?
IV or Intravenous Therapy is used to deliver large quantities of nutrients directly into the blood stream for immediate absorption and use by the body.
What kind of nutrients are used?
The nutrients we use are all water-soluble vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and sometimes botanical derivatives, and homeopathics.
How is a formula determined?
We create individualized formulas for each patient based on their health concerns and health goals. Although there are certain combinations of nutrients, such as a Myers cocktail or an Immune formula, we still determine the amounts of each nutrient used based on the individual patient being treated.
What types of conditions are treated by IV Therapy?
IV Therapy treats a wide spectrum of conditions. We successfully treat cancer, autoimmune diseases, and digestive disorders with IV Therapy. Patients who have malabsorption problems are greatly nourished by IV nutrients. Liver diseases such as hepatitis can be reversed with IV Therapy. Any viral condition can be treated. We also use IV Therapy to stimulate the immune system, detoxify the body, and optimize health in otherwise healthy patients.
Who can benefit from IV Therapy?
Almost everyone can benefit- people with chronic diseases, acute conditions, and those just wanting to optimize their health.
What’s the difference between a “Push,” and a “Bag?”
A “push” is a 30mL or 60mL syringe filled with a formula, and pushed slowly by the doctor through a butterfly needle intravenously. We give pushes in the doctor’s office.
A “bag” is a 250 mL or 500 mL bag filled with a formula, and the patient sits comfortably in the IV Lounge as the fluids slowly drip through either a butterfly needle or catheter intravenously. During a bag (also known as a drip), patients can read, work, or take a nap.
Whether receiving a push or a bag, patients are able to absorb and utilize more nutrients than their gut can tolerate via oral supplementation. Thus, they feel like a superhuman when they’re done.
Do I need to do anything to prepare for an IV?
Yes, it is important to be well hydrated and well fed prior to an IV. If the doctor thinks it’s necessary to do high dose vitamin C, then there is one blood test that needs to be done prior to such therapy. If a patient has any kidney problems, we may want to check kidney function prior to administering large quantities of fluids.
What do each of the nutrients do?
We use many different types of nutrients in our formulas, but here are some of the nutrients we use the most often:
- Vitamin C- Chemotherapeutic- kills cancer cells and helps with cancer prevention, anti-inflammatory, regulates immune function, helps decrease cholesterol, aides in the absorption of iron, increases energy, contributes to mood, stabilizes metabolism, antioxidant, anti-histamine.Treats: viral and bacterial infections, allergies, improves low back pain associated with disc degeneration, wound healing, improves soreness after physical activity, diabetes mellitus, heavy metal detox, Gout, infertility, mental disorders, cataracts, and inflammatory conditions, especially helpful for collagen and connective tissue repair.
- Vitamin B12- supports energy, sleep, mood, immunity, and the adrenal response to stress.Treats: anemia, allergies, pernicious anemia, anemia of pregnancy, asthma, contact dermatitis, atopic dermatitis/eczema, acne, canker sores, viral hepatitis, herpes zoster, psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, diabetic neuropathies, nerve pain/tingling/numbness, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, insomnia, blood pressure, osteoporosis (related to high homocystine), and fatigue.
- B-Complex (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6)- aides the adrenals, energy, immunity, skin, and the reproductive and nervous systems.Treats: anemia, depression, diabetic neuropathy, sciatica, Trigeminal neuralgia, Multiple Sclerosis, Bell’s Palsy, Diabetes type 1 & 2, Glaucoma, Insomnia, nervousness, anxiety, high cholesterol, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, allergies, migraines, Raynaud’s Syndrome, alcoholism, acne, Alzheimer’s disease, smoking cessation, stress, PMS, nausea of pregnancy, carpal tunnel, MSG sensitivity, and Kidney stones.
- Folic Acid- helps with immunity, DNA repair, oxygenation of the body, and mood.Treats: anemia, multiple birth defects, restless leg syndrome, HPV cervical dysplasia or cervical cancer, depression, malabsorption, GI inflammation, gingivitis and periodontal disease, Gout, high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- Magnesium- supports strength of teeth and bones, cardiovascular health, lung function, adrenals, relaxes smooth muscle.Treats: constipation, muscle cramps, angina or chest tightness, irregular heart beat, myocardial infarction or heart attack, heart disease,, stroke, asthma, PMS, menstrual cramps, migraines, fatigue, anxiety, irritability, digestive spasms, kidney stones, pre-eclampsia and eclampsia, toxemia of pregnancy, Diabetes Mellitus, nocturnal muscle cramping, Fibromyalgia, panniculofibrositis, migraines, heavy metal toxicity, inhibits food cravings for chocolate, may enhance athletic performance.
- Calcium- helps with muscle contractility, bone and teeth strength, aides healthy blood clotting.Treats: Osteoporosis, osteomalacia, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, problems with blood clotting, periodontal disease, anxiety, insomnia, PMS, restless leg syndrome, leg cramps, arthritis, hyperactivity, depression (especially post-menopausal), heavy metal toxicity, prevents colon cancer.
- Zinc- helps with vision, taste, immunity, insulin function, synthesis of cell regeneration, prostate health.Treats: autoimmunity, decreased immunity, eczema, acne, skin damage due to herpes, psoriasis, boils, burns, intestinal damage due to Crohn’s, Ulcerative Colitis, inflammation, parasites, celiac disease, peptic ulcers, esophagitis, canker sores, cervical dysplasia due to HPV or cervical cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia (or enlarged prostate), infertility, pharyngitis, lack of taste, heavy metal toxicity, cataracts, macular degeneration, anorexia nervosa.
How often should I receive an IV?
Just like the formulas we create, frequency is determined on an individual basis. Your doctor will work with you to design a schedule that works for you.
For more information, feel free to call and schedule a free 15 minute consultation with one of our doctors, either in person or over the phone, to see if IV Therapy is right for you or your loved one.